Trade shows, conferences and conventions of up to 1,000 attendees can now meet in Nevada. Gov. Steve Sisolak announced Tuesday afternoon that the loosening of group restrictions—previously capped at 50 people—will take effect immediately.

Under the new order, venues for these gatherings can reopen only after approval by state and local officials of a reopening plan. Sports arenas and other venues that seat more than 2,500 people can reopen at 10 percent capacity after similar approval.

“I assure you, today is only the first step in getting back to our new normal,” Sisolak said at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas. “As you plan your next corporate meeting or convention, I know you may be considering locations in other states that have recently announced a complete lifting of all restrictions.

“Before you make a decision, understand that Nevada is not only open for business, we plan to be open for the long-term….We will open up in a safe, constructive manner where you will feel safe, your families will feel safe and all of your event participants will feel safe.”

MoreSuper-sized Safe Meeting Spaces in Nevada

Sisolak said attendees at those newly permitted events must continue to observe social distancing and mask-wearing guidelines. He also cautioned that he would “maintain the flexibility” to dial back any of the changes.

Enthusiastic reaction from the state’s hospitality industry was swift.

“This news is a great first step for our local meeting and convention industries,” said Steve Hill, CEO and president of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. “We encourage everyone who visits, works or lives in Las Vegas to continue taking all the necessary safety and health precautions to allow us to quickly and fully reopen the destination.”

“We are very excited to enter into this next phase with increased group gathering guidelines,” said Stephanie Glanzer, chief sales officer for MGM Resorts International. “This comes as a result of many months of dedicated efforts on behalf of our Las Vegas hospitality and tourism community, working alongside health and medical professionals, to remain vigilant and cautious.”

Michael Massari, chief sales officer for Caesars Entertainment, said, “We applaud the governor for being so transparent with conference organizers that this is just the first step as we simultaneously allow for larger meetings and assure that Las Vegas is not only the best city to gather in but also the safest.  The industry-wide health and safety protocols in place by Nevada Safe, signed by over 40 properties in Nevada, and the protocols put forth by individual properties are the best in the world.”

The post Nevada OKs Groups of 1,000 appeared first on Smart Meetings.

Leave a Reply